Marley Cote, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, MS
I am a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist (#136752) working as a team with Geiger & Associates. I specialize in working with individuals across the lifespan who are survivors of complex trauma, as well as couples who find themselves feeling distressed with each other. My approach to therapy is emotionally-focused, attachment-based, and trauma-informed.
I am trained in Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy (EFCT) and the Comprehensive Resource Model (CRM). As an emotionally-focused and attachment-based therapist, I find these two modalities to be the most effective for individual and couple work.
- The CRM helps clients reconnect and discover secure attachment within themselves after surviving traumatic events. CRM is a powerful model that teaches clients how to use their innate and internal healing resources to overcome any obstacles they have faced in life.
- EFCT is utilized to guide clients towards repair and reconnection. EFCT distills clients emotional experiences in a way that allows them to share from a place of vulnerability instead of reactivity. EFCT is known as the most effective form of couples therapy as it helps couples break out of volatile and insecure attachment, and guides them towards safe, reliable, and secure attachment.
I earned my Master’s degree in Counseling Psychology from California State University, Long Beach. During my education at CSULB, I received extensive training in working with children, adolescents, and families during my practicum at an Intensive Outpatient Program for youth. Additionally, I have earned my Bachelor’s degree in Psychology and Social Behavior from the University of California, Irvine. At UCI, I completed an internship at a youth shelter for kids struggling with suicidal and/or homicidal ideation, as well as an internship at the Campus Assault Resources and Education (CARE) office. My work at the CARE office included supporting survivors of interpersonal violence.
As your therapist, it is my priority to create a therapeutic atmosphere that promotes safety and trust. I look forward to working with you to address your challenges and realize your goals. Therapy is a process that can foster healing, recovery, security, and connection– all crucial aspects that promote to healthy functioning
“Recovery can take place only within the context of relationships; it cannot occur in isolation.”
– Dr. Judith Herman
- License #: 136752
- License State: California
- Practicing Since: 2019
- Education: MS in Counseling Psychology, BA in Psychology & Social Behavior, AA in Psychology
- California Association for Marriage and Family Therapists
- International Centre for Excellence in Emotionally Focused Therapy
- Emotionally Focused Therapy
- EFT Externship
- Core Skills
- Expanding the Self (EFIT and Somatic Experiencing)
- Comprehensive Resource Model
- 5-Day Basic Training
- Child & Adolescent CRM Training
- Core Self Training
- Generational Trauma Training
- Case Conceptualization & Treatment of DID & DDNOS Training